Cost of living in Bangalore

Bangalore - silicon valley of India



Date : 15 Mar 2023


Hi, I am Akash, a software engineer, currently intern, living in Bangalore from past 3 months. I am working as Angular developer ( intern ) at a startup. My current salary is 20 thousand rupees per month. Wait, don't laugh. Please guys don't laugh yaar!


Yes, I am currently earning 20k per month.


Now let's talk about the cost of living.


I am currently staying at a PG in HSR Layout Sector 1. It costs 6500 per month including 3 times food, Wi-Fi, washing machine, biometric, room cleaning, etc. But it is four sharing. Yes, HSR Layout is expensive. The minimum I found in PG is 5500 for four sharing in our locality.


So, nearly 6-8 thousand you will spend on PG only. That too in non luxury PG!


Now, if you stay away from your office, then it will cost you transportation cost of near about 500 to 2000. Also one more drawback of having PG far is you have to take lunch outside. Again it will cost around 100-250 maybe more, daily. Means 2000 to 5000, considering 20 working days.


Now even if we consider the minimum, it sums to 6k PG + 500 transportation + 2000 lunch, that is 8500 !! Other expenses like tea, coffee, mild or advanced and bla bla bla not yet included.


This concludes to a minimum 10 thousand is required for surviving in Bangalore.


And if you go to pubs, bars or barbeque nations frequently. You will be bankrupt soon. And, and if you have a girlfriend and you just earn 20k per month then, oh my god! She will definitely leave you. Don't feel sad for me. I don't have a girlfriend.


I don't want to demotivate you, the thing is that it all depends on which lifestyle you follow. I have seen that here people earning 10 LPA also suffer and earning 20k that is 2.4 LPA also live well. 


My honest experience, I spend 8-12 thousand per month. Still I save my half salary. I have benefits like my office is in next building of our PG, I don't smoke or drink and I vegetarian also. So this may not be applicable to you.  


Comments